Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dinner Rolls and Scotcharoos (not together though)

Rich and Tender American Dinner Rolls, from p. 455 of the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. This is an oldie, I made them at Thanksgiving. I will never go back to Pilsbury rolls, ever. I can't believe how simple they are to make. I wish I had known sooner.

This was my daughter's birthday scotcharoo "cake." I made mushrooms and a cat from marizpan.

Scotcharoos:

Ingredients:

  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. light corn syrup
  • 1 generous c. peanut butter
  • 6 c. Rice Krispies cereal
  • 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 c. butterscotch chips

Directions:

  1. Melt sugar and corn syrup in a pan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved--it should not be grainy and should be just about boiling.
  2. Add above mixture and peanut butter to cereal in a big bowl, mix well
  3. Press into a 9 x 13 pan
  4. Allow to cool
  5. Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together on stove top or in microwave, mixing well
  6. Spread over cooled mixture, allow time for frosting to set

You can decorate it any way you like.

2 comments:

The Beauty Bargainista said...

wow! These all look great! Thank you so much for visiting the Gourmet Momma and for joining us in the Cook it, blog it group! I cant wait to see more from you! :)

Jess said...

I agree that these rolls are the best! I baked five different (similar style) rolls today and these were both my husband's and my favorite recipe. Basic rolls don't have that many things to differentiate them, but I believe that it was the extra butter inside that brought these over the top! Wonderful flavor and texture!!!