Friday, January 16, 2009

Buttermilk Waffles


Nothing fancy here, just a recipe from p. 234 of The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook. I didn't read the directions right the first time I made these but they came out perfect and I have been making them the same since then. I used powdered buttermilk and have been using it in many recipes, it is really great to keep on hand. I wish someone would have alerted me sooner to the fact that homemade waffles are fantastic! I have ruined my family for the better, they will likely never eat pre-made store bought waffles again.
Cost analysis:
Flour $0.26
Buttermilk, salt, other stuff $0.10
Eggs $0.44
Unsalted butter $0.21
Butter $0.44
Over priced maple syrup $1.25
Total: $2.26 for eight waffles with fixings, that fed four people (we could have had a few eggs too, but it was a small breakfast)
I buy better flour and eggs, so if one were to do generic, the cost would likely be lower. Though I do buy flour in bulk.

No comments: