Saturday, October 18, 2008

Shredded Chicken Sandwiches AKA "Ohio Chicken"


Alright, now I will divulge my deepest secret: How to make shredded chicken.

I found out that outside of Ohio, this is not a common thing. My husband, a New Englander, calls this "Ohio Chicken" and it is one of his favorites. I've always thought of it as either a hick food or some kind of traditional depression era cooking. Well I like it anyways so here it is:

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole cooked chicken de-boned
  • 2 stalks of celery diced
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 1-1 1/2 c. chicken stock, or 2-3 cubes chicken bullion
  • pepper
  • water
  • 2-3 tbsp. constarch
  • cooking oil
  • buns or rolls

Directions:

  1. in a medium to large sauce pan, add 1 tbsp cooking oil, celery, and 1/4 cup broth or 2 bullion cubes and 1/4 c. water
  2. sautee celery for 4-5 minutes over medium heat
  3. add onions and cook until onions and celery are tender, add broth as needed
  4. add chicken, stirring and shredding it with a fork, adding broth as needed to keep chicken from burning
  5. dissolve cornstarch in water and add to pan, stirring frequently until thickened
  6. season with pepper to taste

If extra salt is desired, add a bullion cube (or even a little sea salt) dissolved in a little water between step 4 and 5.

Serve on a bun or your choice of bread.

Note: I usually use a chicken that I have made stock from, making a smaller batch of shredded chicken and reserving some of the meat for chicken soup

No comments: