Sunday, November 2, 2008

Soul Cakes





Soul! soul! for a soul-cake! I pray, good misses a soul-cake-- An
apple or pear, a plum or a cherry, Any good thing to make us merry, One for
Peter, two for Paul, Three for Him who made us all.

Soul Cakes
  • 1 yeast cake (I took this to mean 1 packet of yeast, and it worked)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 6 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 lb. butter
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon

Dissolve the yeastwith 1 teaspoon of sugar in the lukewarm water and let it stand in a warm place. Cream the butter with the sugar. Add the milk which has been scalded and slightly cooled and then add the yeast. Sift the flour with the salt and cinnamon and add to the mixture, kneading for a few minutes. Place in a bowl and allow it to rise in a warm place to double its bulk. Shape the dough into round buns and bake at 375 degrees F. for about thirty minutes or until lightly browned. Originally, these cakes were shaped like men and women and were given raisins or currants for eyes.

I think this recipe was originally in Cooking with Christ, by Florence Berger.

I did not think I would really like these too much but they are great, I ate mine with butter, I plan on giving a few to some friends.